Sunday, January 15, 2012

God Save the Queen

Good morning from London! 

It is currently 8:10am on Sunday (2:10 back at MC), and I am sitting in the super quiet lobby of the Celtic Hotel with the smell of a fresh breakfast floating down the hallway.
These past three days since we left the Jackson airport have been non-stop. Overall, London is more than I could have ever expected.  It is such a large city, but spread out and not as fast paced as big cities in America. It already feels like home.
We left America around 5:45 Eastern Time Wednesday night.  On the ten hour flight, I sat by a sweet British lady who was a former judge in London.  She gave me so many tips on what to do, and why I shouldn't ever go to Paris.   So needless to say, I slept none on the plane.
We arrived at Gatwick airport in London around 7am Thursday morning to meet Dr. Parks and Dr. Price, and we immediately jumped in to experiencing London.
We checked in to our hotel, then hit the streets to go buy our cell phones and get a good idea of our surroundings.   We also met one of our professors, Mr. Rumblelow (this man has huge eyebrows..I mean HUGE) who took us around the main part of the city.  That night, a lot of the group went to bed, but even though I was exhausted, I set out on the tube to explore.  I can sleep when I get back to America.  That night, I got mistaken as a local and asked directions. Luckily, I knew where they wanted to go, so I used my best British accent, and they believed me!

The next day, which was Friday morning, after a huge breakfast at the Celtic, we had something called a Tube Rallye.  Dr. Parks has come up with a type of scavenger hunt with over 50 questions to send us out in groups.  My group came in last, but we had fun and really got a grasp of the city.

That night, we attended a production o f Guys and Dolls at "Upstairs at the Gatehouse" theatre. It was an amazing, small production.  It honestly reminded me of the BTAPC theatre where I grew up.   Though the theatre only sat around 160 people, this was just as good as any show on Broadway or the West End.   It really wet my appetite for the theatre we going to start seeing next week as part of our theatre class!
Saturday, we hopped on a coach around 8:00am and left London for a bit for a day trip.  Our first stop was Stonehenge.  It was extremely cool, but our group got the biggest kick out of the swarm of sheep right beside it.


We then headed to the countryside of Avebury where we had lunch and I had my first experience of clotted cream, which changed my life.  We then headed to Bath where Jane Austen spent a little time.   It is unbelievable seeing buildings that were built hundreds of years before America was even dreamed of.
So yes, it has been an insane three days. We are going to St. Paul's Cathedral for church this morning, as well as walking around the city for a while.  We also start classes tomorrow.  I really should check out the grocery store and get some shampoo eventually...my little bottle is soon to run out.
After being here only three days, my goal is to not come back to the States with a British accent.  It's going to be pretty hard not to do.
Yes, I miss the MC Bubble a lot and definitely miss the people I love more than anything, but I have fallen in love with London.  This is going to be an amazing three months.

3 comments:

  1. You can't even watch Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings without adopting a British accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so exciting. Glad you're having a great time and you know you will come home with an accent....lol No need to fight it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't listen to that woman. GO TO PARIS. It's the most magical place in the world (besides London, of course). Don't go all that way and not get a decent crepe or pain au chocolat.

    ReplyDelete